Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Beautiful City of Uki





Just when I think it can't get any better it does! Today was overwhelming for me both spiritually and artistically! After stopping by a local bakery to pick up our lunches for the day, we started our day at Misumi West Port, a beautiful area in Uki beside the ocean surrounded by mountains. The weather was just perfect and as we stepped off our bus we could feel the sun on our face. It was about 80 degrees today with a slight breeze ever so often. We left the port for a visit in a neighboring area where we participated in a ceremony at a temple. As I stood there video taping the ceremony by the temple priest, I stopped to think about all of the people who had stood there before me, feeling spiritually blessed by what they were experiencing. The architecture of the temple was beautiful and very intricate. The time there was brief, but long enough that I felt a sense of comfort by what we had all participated in. After leaving there we traveled to another small area in Uki where we visited a Buddhist shrine. Although the priest did not perform a special ceremony for us, he did speak to us about the religion of Buddhism and discussed the different aspects of the shrine. Once we left, we had our lunch on the bus as we drove into Uki City for an afternoon of pottery and a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. Kenturo, a local potter and his father have a beautiful studio where they display many of their pieces, both in porcelain and stoneware. We all created tea bowls and I even had time to make my own sake cup. The time there was a great close to my day. As we drove back to the hotel I took in all of the sights of the local landscape which is filled with beautiful cosmos flowers, fields of rice that is being harvested and wide, open blue skies! Oka, our tour guide took us all into town this evening for dinner at her favorite noodle house. We rode the cable car into the city and also visited the local supermarket.

Tomorrow is a big day, our first visit to an elementary school. I will be giving the official speech to administrators and teachers on behalf of our group during our afternoon meeting. We will be spending the whole day at the school, starting very early with waiting for the students to arrive in the morning. I am so excited!

Until next time...

16 comments:

Sully said...

Wow! It looks like you are having a blast. The pictures you sent (on your blog) were beautiful. Thanks for sharing them.
*** Sully

Janey said...

Hey Kim. Just wanted to say hi!
Janey

Anonymous said...

mrs.kimi love you!!i am in mrs.hite's class my name is morgan scott

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a very good time in Uki. Did you go to a resterant in Uki and didn't like any food? syl[see you later.]

Anonymous said...

By the way last year i was in the best art class ever.Your art class,i am sad that i am not in your class this year.This is my last School year here!


-Grayson H.

Anonymous said...

i hope you are having a good time in uki. I hope your trip in japan is fun. I hope you bring you art classes back some candy.



p.s. I'm stuck trying to figure out my rube goldberg project.please help me when you get back.

Anonymous said...

`5626@fgast.net



Just Kidding.......

Anonymous said...

Hi mrs Sullivan- i miss you SO much... i had u every year as a art teacher! i am in 5th grade now.. and i will miss u SO much!

P.S samstora@yahoo.com is my email address. email me!!

Anonymous said...

In almost every picture with people in it, why is everybody making a "peace" sign with their fingers?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Kim. I hope your had a good time in Uki! Heres a question Did you have a hard time sleping on a mat ?

Anonymous said...

Hey girl its me Hannah i miss you SOOOOO much. where have you been, what places did you go to? Did you buy anything? What kind of stuff was there to buy? well i know im asking to many ouestions but you just being in japan is so cool.
Hey one more question where did you sit when you ate did you get to sit at a table? Well, hope your having a blast tell me all aout it when you get back!!see ya!:)


Hannah:)

Anonymous said...

Oh and....HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

Hannah:)

Anonymous said...

What is your faveorite food so far?

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs.Sullivan that is one beatiful city.Take some more AWESOME pics.Those rock i hope you come back soon love josh in your art class

Anonymous said...

hello mrs.sullivan i hope you had a very good time and please bring us picture on wensday to show us and how was your flight were scard and did you know anybody that was there with you.

Anonymous said...

It looks really cool there!Did you like the food?What was your favorite food?